Monday, June 27, 2011

Crossing the line toward discipline

It is so easy to judge other parents ... particularly before you become one.

I am just now realizing how different it is crossing that line between simply caring for an infant -- offering basic, physical and emotional needs -- and parenting. We have crossed that line.

To make a long story short, I'm realizing that I have enabled insane behavior (e.g. Abby screaming bloody murder because I was cutting carrots in the kitchen and not paying attention to her) and that I needed to make a change.

Today I decided to ignore her when she acted like that and give her positive, fun attention when she was calm. The repercussions were amazing.

After her finger foods.
She behaved the entire dinner, she ate FINGER FOODS (sweet potato and turkey burger!) and she seemed to have a ball.

I am just now beginning to feel intimidated at the magnitude of parenting. Realizing that me simply trying to get things done around the house and not paying attention to her was creating a little monster. That little monster will grow to a big, big monster (think Supernanny) without intervention.

Thank God I was enlightened.

1 comment:

  1. I love your new plan, but she would be such a cute little monster.

    ReplyDelete