Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cliches that turn out to be true

Darn it.

There are so many phrases/cliches/sayings uttered pre- and post-baby. It's so difficult to stomach them and -- I will admit -- it's difficult not to say them sometimes, too. There is something about certain phrases and questions -- they just roll off the tongue. I can't count the number of times I had to stop myself from asking a brand-new mom how her baby was sleeping because I remember how much that question drove me nuts.

Unfortunately, one of these is proving to be true right now. It actually isn't a phrase that bothered me, but it is one that I hoped wouldn't be true of my baby.

The phrase of: "As soon as you get into a routine, it changes."

Well, phooey on that.

Yes, my sleeping-through-the-night baby has slowly regressed to the point of getting up 2-3 times a night. She was sleeping up to 11 hours! Not anymore!

I do think that her current behavior is coupled with a growth spurt, but my zombie state doesn't really care the reasoning behind it. I just want some sleep. These nights were one thing when I was on maternity leave and didn't have to function (or drive) throughout the day. Housework suffered, but I have the greatest husband in the world, so it was okay.

Now I have to drive to work (and actually work). I was so close to slapping myself across the face this morning after what seemed like my hundredth painful yawn while driving down I-94.

At least Abby looked perky (and well-fed) in the back seat.

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you. Kali was sleeping 8-10 hours consistently throughout the night, and last night she woke up at 1030, 1200, 300, and then 500. 5 is when I finally just brought her in the bed with me to snuggle and then she slept until 8...I'm lagging today too. I'm kinda over these "growth spurts" at this point, and just want my STTN baby back! ;)

    ReplyDelete