Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cliches that turn out to be true

Darn it.

There are so many phrases/cliches/sayings uttered pre- and post-baby. It's so difficult to stomach them and -- I will admit -- it's difficult not to say them sometimes, too. There is something about certain phrases and questions -- they just roll off the tongue. I can't count the number of times I had to stop myself from asking a brand-new mom how her baby was sleeping because I remember how much that question drove me nuts.

Unfortunately, one of these is proving to be true right now. It actually isn't a phrase that bothered me, but it is one that I hoped wouldn't be true of my baby.

The phrase of: "As soon as you get into a routine, it changes."

Well, phooey on that.

Yes, my sleeping-through-the-night baby has slowly regressed to the point of getting up 2-3 times a night. She was sleeping up to 11 hours! Not anymore!

I do think that her current behavior is coupled with a growth spurt, but my zombie state doesn't really care the reasoning behind it. I just want some sleep. These nights were one thing when I was on maternity leave and didn't have to function (or drive) throughout the day. Housework suffered, but I have the greatest husband in the world, so it was okay.

Now I have to drive to work (and actually work). I was so close to slapping myself across the face this morning after what seemed like my hundredth painful yawn while driving down I-94.

At least Abby looked perky (and well-fed) in the back seat.