Friday, May 29, 2015

Forbes: Living The Dream, Self-Made Women Edition

I read Lean In. I loved it. It's a subtle yet forceful message that women need to do a better job of standing up for themselves because if they don't, nothing is going to change.

Mentioning Sheryl Sandburg, I also need to mention that I am heartbroken for her following the recent loss of her husband. I can't imagine the pain she is experiencing right now. She is a phenomenal woman who has stood up for those who are not using their voices loud enough and she's encouraging women to do more in the business world.

I am a new entrepreneur who is currently looking for a part-time job to provide for my family as I continue along the path toward my dreams. Women like Sheryl encourage me to continue on, and articles like the one Forbes published today encourage me even more.

Sex Sells

This is a culture in which sex sells, and there are a lot of women who use that to their advantage. Yes, it's playing the game, but it's an insecure path to take. I love that strong, intelligent women are moving to the forefront and representing the path of most resistance.

I may be a pain in the ass who talks too much and creates too many waves, but I haven't let anyone change me. I am going to succeed, damn it. And I'm going to do it my way.

Aligning with the Right People

As I work my PR business with my best friend, Tara, I love the fact that my side business, Rodan+Fields, is the baby of two other strong women, Dr. Katie Rodan and Dr. Kathy Fields. They have a business opportunity video in which they introduce each other as best friends and business partners.

Not only is this company I'm representing headed up by amazing businesswomen, they, too, are best friends. I must be on the right path.

Funny Ladies


Throughout history, there are the funny women who are legitimately talented in the world of show business and have the ability to be self-deprecating in the most amazing ways. Back in the day it was Lucille Ball and Betty White, who is still going strong.

Now it's Melissa McCarthy, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, Amy Schumer, Patricia Arquette. I absolutely love this skit from Amy Schumer's show!

Warning, the 'F' word is used a lot!


So, while I would love to keep writing about this topic of strong women, I currently have a future strong woman on my lap. She's five months old today and is not about to be left in a baby swing.

Per Sheryl Sandburg, I will continue managing my business and being a mom as I plan to take over the world and set the best possible example for my two daughters and -- even more importantly -- my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment