Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oh, so this is a problem?

Abby went to her nine-month well-baby appointment today. Turns out, we have been unknowingly harboring bad sleep patterns. Granted, I could have told you that, but I have been in denial (it's not just a river in Egypt).

The end-result of the appointment is that we have to sleep train. That includes putting Abby to bed awake, regulating naps, not nursing her to sleep and limiting her eating at night.

Helping that along will be me not going in to soothe her at night considering I'm the primary food source.

Who does that leave to get up at night, you ask?

Well, I suggested it to Luke and Leia, but they weren't up for it. They figured there could be a logistical problem since Abby outweighs them. (Abby actually doesn't outweigh Leia, but I didn't want to tell her that and make her feel bad).

That only leaves ... Tom.

The look of pure terror on his face when I mentioned it would be best for him to attend to Abby tonight was amusing. I could just see the sentence forming in his head.

"What do you mean ... I have to go to work tomorrow!"

I should mention that Tom has always been 100-percent willing to get up when needed. I just haven't minded getting up. For that, he has been 100-percent thankful.

Now that we have to make this change, I think the fact that Tom doesn't have a love affair with coffee as I do (the man has never tasted coffee ... WTF?) will come back to bite him in the arse.

I'm thinking Tom is going to be cheering harder than me for this sleep training thing to work ASAP. I have faith in our girl -- she fell asleep by herself tonight!

But the wee morning hours loom. Will Tom need to get up with her? Will he be sleep deprived tomorrow?

To be continued ...

2 comments: