Saturday, July 2, 2011

Abby's First Monsoon ... er ... Baseball Game

Tonight marked the annual Tiger game in honor of Uncle Jack and it was to be Abby's first (unless you count her being in my belly last year).

There were so many things working in our favor when it came to bringing an infant to the ballpark (please detect my sarcasm), most notably being the 97-degree game-time temperature.

Abby was not a happy camper. She hadn't napped much during the day, but managed to fall into a deep sleep approximately 5-7 minutes before we arrived at the park. We managed to move her from the car seat to the stroller without waking her, but she got up when Grandpa and Grandma took her into the Guest Services office (to visit some friends) ... at that point, dazed-and-confused mode began.

This was Abby's expression for the next two hours:

Abby = Peppy
While this is a great photo (and Abby's pigtails are to die for), she pretty much had this blank, WTF stare on her face for the duration of the ballpark experience.

She did not enjoy our seats in the 200 level, but Grandpa was able to use his awesome connections (they were much appreciated) to move us to the lower level where there was a nice breeze.
Our new seats! (Abby = Peppy on the Inside)

Though she pepped up, you can see she continued to refuse smiling for the camera.

We were just settling in to the awesome 6-0 game (Tigers not winning) when the sky began to turn gray and claps of thunder could be heard. We were preparing to make a run for it when a huge gust of wind blew a plastic hot dog cover (I was in front of a vendor) onto my head.

Don't worry, my mama bear instincts came out and I protected the baby.

It was then that the monsoon began. We rushed into the Guest Services office, but there didn't seem to be an end in sight. After waiting for about 30 minutes, we saw a semi-break in the rain and made a run for it.

Let me inform everyone that it was still raining steadily ... we ended up drenched. I had strapped Abby in the Ergo and covered her head with the cover and Tom's hat, but she insisted on pushing herself away from me to stick her tongue out into the rain.

Abby = happy to be in the car with her puppy and Violet
We got back to the car (soaking wet) and made our way back home. Tom bravely drove us through massive amounts of rain and wind and Abby was smiley and peppy the entire time.

I thought she would be awake when we pulled in, but she seemed to detect we got off the highway and abruptly fell asleep just to make things interesting. We got home and I laid her on the floor to change her and she immediately rolled onto her side to fall asleep (I did manage to change her and put her in PJs).

While our family braved it out and is still at the ballpark, they are unfortunately witnessing an awesome (more sarcasm) 10-0 Tiger deficit.

This story is definitely making the baby book ... Abby's three-inning, 6-0 deficit, monsoon, 97-degree baseball game. At least she got a certificate!