Monday, January 24, 2011

The Frazzled World of Motherhood

I seriously feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes and I don't even have a "difficult" baby.

I think the sole responsibility of accounting for another person is enough to drive one relatively insane, as evidenced by the fact that I managed to pack all of Abby's milk for the day while forgetting to include nipples for the bottles.

My dad called in a panic ("I don't have any nipples!") and I had to make an emergency run to Target.

(On a random note, it is really irritating that Medela doesn't sell nipples and the part that screws the nipple on top of the bottles. They just sell the rubber nipple itself. So I had to buy three bottles. Awesome. Now we have a million and three bottles.)

I really don't understand how I managed to get this frazzled. As I said, Abby is an angel-baby. She sleeps through the night (10-11 hours straight) and it content the majority of the time. So why am I so exhausted?

I guess the mere fact that I have to cart her around with me wherever I go (this weekend it was a basketball game and a baby shower) and then care for her for the majority of the day is enough. I suppose it results in mental exhaustion and the desire to have some "me" time at the end of the day. That "me" time translates into staying up too late, which then results in sleep deprivation.

Throw in Abby getting up at 3:45 last night and eating for an hour and I was definitely behind on my coherency.

You'd think that I'd be able to manage, though, with some shred of alertness. Apparently not.

It has me more than impressed with the endless number of mothers who manage to stay awake despite their child waking up at all hours of the night and struggling through colic, acid reflux and the like.

So this post this morning goes out to those mothers. I bow down with respect.

2 comments:

  1. Two things:
    I am one of those Moms who is dealing with reflux and milk protein allergy.

    Secondly, I have bottles strictly for daycare. They get wash immediately when we get home and go back in the bag right then so nothing is lost or forgotten. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chrissie I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award, check out my newest blog post for details :)

    ReplyDelete