Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My name is Chrissie ... and I'm a caffeine addict

More specifically, a coffee addict.

Before I became a mother, I fancied myself a coffee addict. But I also considered a coffee addict someone who had to have coffee every morning.

Now?

I have to have coffee every morning ... and afternoon ... and sometimes evening.

I used to think someone who drank as much coffee as I currently do (sometimes three cups in the morning and then another in the afternoon if I feel so inclined) was on a sure-fire path toward an ulcer.

Now I see my habits as a method of survival.

Sometimes, in my fast-paced world of routine, my love of coffee is what keeps me moving toward the next day. I don't know if I should consider it sad that I sometimes fall asleep with my mouth watering as I think about the next morning's cup.

You think I'm exaggerating.

It was the moment that happened for the first time that I realized I might have a problem.

But I embrace it. I look at it as the silver lining of sleep deprivation.

It's the little things in life that keep us moving day-to-day (both figuratively and literally ... but I digress) and this is one of my little things: my morning cup(s) of coffee.

It could be worse. I could ingest my caffeine in (::gasp::) pill form as I did in my college days.

Okay, how many flashed back to Saved By the Bell?

"I'm so excited! I'm so excited!"

Perhaps I've already overdone it this morning ...

2 comments:

  1. Just yesterday I read that experts believe there are more coffee addicts than drug addicts - as a new mom, yea, I'd say so! My caffine fix is what get's me through the day. And it's gotta be coffee, soda and tea just don't cut it! I'm there with you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. Soda and tea just aren't the same. It's got to be coffee ... and straight-up coffee. No "flavored" stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete